Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Project 52 2012 (2/52): On (Never) Being The Best Man

.:Project 52 2012 (2/52): On (Never) Being The Best Man:.\

It was an interesting weekend, and under normal circumstances, I'd have written about it for Just Another Magic Monday, but the whole weekend just ended up getting me to think about a whole different topic, not entirely related to magic.

So I had three functions to attend to last weekend: a children's party, a debut, then a wedding. If my luck continues this way, my next gig would probably be a wake, but I digress. As per usual, my magic and mentalism shows went well, even running into the Mental Assassin, Justin Pinon, while preparing for my first one. Things just got into a whole tizzy the minute I got to the hosting gig for the wedding, though, since I was hosting the wedding of May, a very special old friend of mine. Let's leave it at that. Contrary to the jokes throughout the day, there was no overbearing awkwardness to be had by the situation, although I doubt anyone save Adam Sandler's character from "The Wedding Singer" would envy the position I found myself in.

The thing is, I realized that most of the people I'm close to are females, and at this point, I flat out do not have a single male friend to speak of who I could reasonably believe I am close enough to for me to want to or be asked to become a best man for. Not a one.

It's pretty funny, really. I would say I'm not too broken up about it, but I find it a very curious development, regardless. I mean, after all these years, I simply have found myself in a situation where, if all my single male friends decided to get married tomorrow, none of them would so much as consider me as their best man. Isn't that weird? Because I'm pretty sure all of my other male friends don't have that situation.

I guess, at this point, I need to ask myself a couple of things... first, how important an institution is marriage to me? Secondly, assuming marriage is indeed important enough, how big a deal is it for me to never have a single relationship with another male that is close enough for them to consider inviting me as their best man?

I think the mere fact that I thought about this throughout the weekend before committing it to the blog speaks volumes about how much both things initially meant to me, even if I probably won't lose sleep over it in the end. Nonetheless, it gives me cause for pause. It makes me think for a moment what kind of relationships I've cultivated and where my priorities lie if this trend persists throughout my life. It also makes me wonder if this realization upsets me, or is something I can live with just fine.

Well, color me a tad in between at this point. I suppose with the way things have been going for a while already, I need to reevaluate how much both things mean to me, because I doubt I'm at a point where I could move past just having to settle for the fact that I'm going to just have to deal with this and live with this little crease in my life.

No comments: