Thursday, July 21, 2011

My First Ever Filipino Freethinkers Meetup!

.:FF On The Go!:.

Since I saw the post on the Freethinkers website, I figured that going there to see the members of FF would be much more relaxing and enjoyable than grueling through a tournament for a Time Walk, even if the prize was certainly tempting to me.

In the end, I think I made the right decision, as I managed to meet some pretty cool people for the first time, not to mention discuss the possibility of starting a Filipino Freethinkers 100,000 challenge for paranormal phenomenon, essentially a Filipinized version of the Amazing Randi's $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge, which should hopefully really curb the rampant charlatanry that is happening in this country thanks to the Licauco's and Lasala's of the world.

That being said, it was really great. Discussions were humorous and intellectual at the same time, and it felt good to be in a room filled with not necessarily like-minded people, but open-minded people. See, while I strongly advocate secularism, in practice, I am still every bit the Catholic apologist I've always been since reading the book entitled "Surprised By Truth."

I just believe that my beliefs are my beliefs, and I would rather that I don't shove mine down anyone's throat, nor have anyone shove theirs down mine. Besides, I have a gag reflex, and that kind of practice results in me spewing bile in response.

So after discussions on activism and sexism, we took ourselves down to Octoboy to have a very interesting early dinner, and I left the gathering with a deeper appreciation for the people of Filipino Freethinkers. I don't know if I can mention everyone there by name, but from Kenneth to Red to Carl to Bea to everyone else, it was a pleasure making your acquaintance, and a true honor to be writing for you guys.


Somewhere, the CBCP is keeping this photograph depicting a cabal of godless heathens for... future use. For the poor. Yeah.

No comments: