Monday, July 04, 2011

Just Another Magic Monday: Magic! Bagsik!

.:Just Another Magic Monday: Magic! Bagsik!:.

So apparently, after the exposure show “Magic? Gimik!” finally ended its run, TV5 replaced it with yet another magic-related show, and almost as if to patronize Filipino magicians far and wide, they decided to have a highlight show that focuses on awesome stuff involving magic.

Unfortunately, they picked, of all shows to pseudo-syndicate, the one that has Criss Angel in it. Oy vey.

Now, I’ll be honest with you guys. I’m not a fan of Criss Angel at all. I think he’s all flash and no substance, and this really shows when you realize the fact that constantly, he uses stooges or special effects in his magic tricks, which completely defeats the purpose of doing magic, to begin with. In general, I really am underwhelmed by his performances, although on paper, he does appear to have more charisma than David Blaine. Nonetheless, I’ve seen better, and I know better.

However, this isn’t to say that I’m going to absolutely hate the show. If I was ambivalent at worst when they syndicated “Exposed,” why would anyone think I’d be so far gone against a show that’s “praising” magic instead? Sure, I still don’t have much regard for the talents of Kean Cipriano, but there’s one noteworthy thing about “Magic! Bagsik!” that I’m honestly looking forward to, and that’s the regular segment that will be featuring the Mental Assassin, Justin Pinon.


Yeah. That guy.

See, as a mentalist, and as a Filipino mentalist, at that, I tend to look at fellow mentalists in the industry with a very critical eye, not just in terms of performance or talent, but more so, their work ethic and attitude towards the industry. This is why I have high regard for Mr. Pinon, because among the mentalists of his age, he doesn’t get to where he is by stepping on other people’s toes. He knows his history, he respects the people who have come before and even after him, and most of all, he keeps honing his craft to get better and better for the sake of his audiences.

Truth be told, after the beating the reputation of both magic and mentalism has taken in this country thanks to some really nasty pieces of work, Any chance to uplift the image once again would be a welcome change of pace. While I will always have misgivings about Criss Angel, it’s good to know that there’s someone like Justin on that show, making sure that people continue to understand and appreciate magic and mentalism for the art forms that they are, rather than the con jobs they’ve recently been made out to be.

No comments: