Monday, June 02, 2008

Well Wishing And Rickrolling...

.:Do Us Proud...:.

This message goes out to one of the best singers I've ever met, my former student in RIS, Gaita.

All jokes aside, you were one of my most brilliant students ever, and I will always be happy with how you have come so far in my class, and hopefully, in life.

Thanks for being one of the few students I've had whom I can safely consider as a friend. I'm sorry I wasn't there at your farewell party to at least say goodbye, but not to worry, I'm sure my hypnotizing you isn't the last time we'd run into each other.

God bless you, Gaita, and do well in whatever you do. You're an amazing kid, and I have nothing but respect for you.

P.S. I can't even say "your head is dropping low, low, low" without making some reference to Flow Rida. I'm sure the cheesiness of it all snapped you out of your trance. Heh.

.:More Rick Astley Shenanigans...:.


Rickrolling is a science!



So I got to thinking about the impending arrival of Rick Astley on Philippine soil in just under two months. I wasn't joking when I said I wanted to watch... I'd definitely watch the concert if I had tickets, and there's a good chance I will.

Having said that, I also like how in an interview, he said he was mostly amused about Rickroll phenomenon, but he was just worried that it might embarrass his daughter, more than anything else.

With no sarcasm whatsoever, I have to say... what a class act! Instead of thinking about cashing in on the hype, he thinks more about his daughter's welfare, and doesn't really see himself as anything revolutionary or influential.

One thing he said that really struck me was this (Taken from his recent interview...

For his part, Astley was nothing if not modest about his new cultural role. “If this had happened around some kind of rock song, with a lyric that really meant something -- a Bruce Springsteen, "God bless America" ... or an anti-something kind of song, I could kind of understand that,” Astley said. “But for something as, and I don’t mean to belittle it, because I still think it’s a great pop song, but it’s a pop song; do you know what I mean? It doesn’t have any kind of weight behind it, as such. But maybe that’s the irony of it.”

With all of this buzz going over Rick Astley for the past year or so, and with all the Rickrolling going around, whether it be against Scientology or Fred Phelps, the Rickroll has become a harmless but kitsch form of, in the words of the interview, "geeky rebellion". The V masks donned by some Rickrollers does lend credence to this theory...

But there is a point to be made about this post, and it's this...

.:According To Reliable Sources...:.

... I have a passing resemblance to Rick Astley.

I don't know how to take this, whether to laugh or cry or just be excited about it, but dagnabit, people in Campus are actually calling me "Rick Sparky" when they realized how I looked like the guy...

But I can't just make these assertions now, can I? Looking through my old pictures, I tried to find a picture where Rick Astley and I are approximately in the same position...



You be the judge...

Since I gained a lot of weight in recent months, I looked for a picture when I was significantly thinner, and well, having Mick in the picture is just gravy.. Do I look like an 80's Pop Icon, or are people just saying that because of my inexplicable admiration for one Rick Astley?

.:Your Moment Of Zen...:.

Rickrolling, with a twist! Remember those trivia bits in the "Pop" music video for "Music and Lyrics"? Well, here you go!In case you can't see the vid, look up "Pop Up" and "Rick Astley" on Youtube. That'd help.





No comments: