Monday, June 23, 2008

Radio Ruminations...

.:Radio Ga-Ga:.

It was a night of celebration, and I still can’t wipe this silly grin off my face.

Last Friday night, Radio Partners got together for a small party, where I ended up meeting a lot of people from our sister stations from WAVE to Magic to MAX to JAM. With myself, sir Jimmy, Zack, Jaybee, sir Joe Spinner, and the Triggerman representing Campus, we all really had a good time, including a quick foray into my PK and escapology experiences which just really went over well.

From movies to lovelives to Tony Tony’s 48-day abstinence challenge, it was a riot all throughout the night, not to mention the fact that the Kare-Kare was absolutely to die for, as you can taste every bit of the delectable morsel with every bite, just completely overwhelming your senses.

Much thanks to Jaybee for giving me some… encouragement of sorts with the stuff we’ve been talking about. I really wouldn’t want it any other way.

Nights like these remind me why I love being in radio, and why radio will never quite die.

.:Tricks Of The Trade:.

I cannot thank Joe Spinner enough for taking me under his wing and teaching me the ropes, as I try to unlearn some nasty habits I picked up from being shunted to the graveyard shift with no guidance for two years in WAVE, not to mention being ridiculed on my last day by a certain other jock who shall remain nameless, effectively telling me “good riddance” on air on my way out. A real class act.

After my last day with WAVE, I honestly felt I was done with radio last July 2007. I gave three years of my blood, sweat, and tears, and all I got was some cheap jokes at my expense on the way out. Campus changed that, and I’m striving to make myself worth something, and finding myself on wikipedia for the first time in my life sorta gave me a much-needed ego boost.

While my diction of course needed working on, it was the sheer ability to ad lib on the spot that sir Joe really wanted to work on with me. He wanted me to unlearn the phobia I had of speaking up and overrunning the show’s anchor, and at some point, he even did the call signs in unison with me, which may not mean much to anyone, but is a big deal to me.

This is in spite of the fact that I still mix up song titles and artists sometimes, or outright forget one of the two, like when I talked about how cool “Paraluman” by Emily was, despite the fact that the song is entitled “Emily” and it was sung by Paraluman. This is in spite of the fact that I’m still unlearning three years of bad habits that have no place in professional radio, and that I barely stifled the urge to say the Mike Enriquez-ish “Excuse me po!” When I had to clear my throat.

I’m still far from becoming the super-ultra-DJ I always dreamed I could be, but it’s a more achievable dream than becoming a pro wrestler, at least, and I’m making strides in my drive to achieve it. For that, I can never thank Campus enough, knowing full well that every criticism they have leveled in my direction has never been anything beyond impetus for me to continue trying to improve myself.

.:Celebrity Funnies...:.

Since it's actually Iya Villana's birthday today, and since Gracey from Campus Aircheck was invited to the party, Cat(Also from Aircheck.) and I figured that it would be funny if we twisted Gracey's arm into finagling extra invites, and after much prodding, we almost actually succeeded!

Oh, well. It was worth a try, I guess...

1 comment:

Athrun said...

It seems that you are learning a lot in Campus FM. Good luck kuya Kel. Mag-aapply pa rin ako sa DJ sometime.