Wednesday, May 19, 2004

.:The Chuang Tzu And Our Grades:.

The funny thing about yesterday's class was that I was soooo hyperactive at the time. I was constantly making commentaries about the reading, and this is, after all, Taoism we are talking about, where knowing that we do not know is a good thing. With that being said, things got really funny when I asked Dr. Dy...

Marcelle: So sir, during the finals, if we answer nothing to your question on Taoism, we are correct?

When I did the reading of a passage, I even did classic Kung-Fu voices that tempted me to "misread" the piece and say stuff like "Wanna try my Kung-Fu?" It was all good, I guess. The better for me to ignore certain facts...

I even saw Jim Paredes' story about the archer in the Chuang Tzu. Now I know where he's been getting a good chunk of his material. Still, what makes me feel a bit better is that I know I've been contributing quite a deal to the class in spite of all my jokes and side comments. Of course, my rapid comments couldn't go unnoticed...

Marcelle, mukhang nakatira ka ng acetone, ah!

Anyways, my favorite comment was the one I made about the chapter on "Duke Hwan and the Wheel Wright"...

It was about a wheelwright who spoke to Duke Hwan of Khi. He asked him about the book the Duke was reading. When he began to speak about the great minds of old, the wheelwright told him that this is nothing but dust that he is reading. Angered, the Duke asked why. The wheelwright spoke plainly: it is nothing but remnants of a greater whole that you never fathomed.

As Bruce Lee would say, it is like a finger pointing to the moon. Don’t look at the finger. Look at the moon.

I think I just found my niche in Philosophy: pop culture. Comm and Philosophy coming together to form a nice little package...

.:Since I Don't Drink...:.

My wholehearted gratitude to Jason, Jess, Mog (I hope I spelled that right.), and Mikko for being nice enough to keep me company yesterday after having received the gloomy news that I'm no longer Fr. Que's teaching assistant, not of my own choice. They were really hilarious for the most part, and I still cannot figure out how the Hades I'd go about transcribing what happened.

Anyways, we just ate at some Chinese restaurant in Katipunan for starters. I had beef wanton soup, and then we started talking about stuff. I commented something about oral exams or Sacha, or something to that effect...

Marcelle: But it's not what you think.

Jason: Marcelle, when it comes to you, it is what we think.

For some strange reason, everyone eating forgot that there was a girl in the vicinity (Jess, to be exact.). So Jason bought a copy of FHM and then started getting everyone on the table ogling at the pictures, while everyone was completely oblivious to the fact that Jess was seething already in a good-natured kind of way. Nonetheless, it was really fun. Mikko was talking about how difficult it was to handle a cadaver if it's fat, because his gloves weren't long enough to avoid touching the cadaver's innards. And still, he couldn't find the cadaver's kidneys...

After a while, we went back to the store, just in time for it to close. No big deal, really. I was doing a few card tricks, though. Same old stuff I could do with any given deck of cards, though of course, my special deck is quite a sight in contrast... I wasn't as miffed about the previous occurences any longer, but still...

We headed to Starbucks, where I was the only one who didn't have anything. I guess the fact that I don't drink coffee much should explain why I didn't get myself anything. Anyways, I was just looking at Jason's laptop, which was secondhand, but wasn't so bad, nonetheless. It's just that it didn't have any more batteries, so I didn't get to check out how it runs. The topic, for some reason, shifted to Peppy and Sacha (The latter, I can understand why.). It was interesting how the dialogue went. Theories arose, such as stuff like "Sacha's just a front of Peppy's to get to Eric Vidal". It was all good. I guess Jason really has an axe to grind with Peppy for those two near-death experiences.

We were even talking about certain people who were taken, and the insights seemed to be pushed by alcohol- except nobody had any alcohol. Things were even more hilarious once we got into the car and we started singing church songs and medleys. Of course, I just had to make the blooper of the day...

Marcelle: Is Badj related to Chico and SJ?

The answer I got was classic.

Anyways, the pictures (Sans one that seems to be missing...:


LA Lopez before and after that “special night”.


Meet the Prime Evils: Baal, Mephisto, and Diablo.


They look gooodddd together.

No comments: