Monday, May 24, 2004

.:In The Nick Of Time:.

I managed to get myself registered for the King of Fighters 2003 tournament, and I must give props to the people I went up against. I didn't make it past the eliminations, though truth be told, I don't think that I would've stayed even if I did. I had a not-so-bad 6-7 record, considering how I was not too used to the joystick of the place, plus the fact that my mind was more focused on getting to Makati in time than in fighting a good game of KOF. No excuses, though. I have a long way to go still before I can consider myself a KOF master. Being the best player in Megamall/Centerpoint proves nothing, simply because there aren't too many good players there, anyways.

I had fun with the tournament, though. My team of Goro, Duolon, and Robert Garcia had quite a strong showing, most of my defeats owing to tactical errors like combos I already set up but failed to complete, and so forth. At the same time, I managed to prove my mettle in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, having a total of six legit wins to my name with my usual team.

I joined the tournament this year not really to win it (Dream on, Marcelle.), but to prove that I'm not an opponent to take lightly. Towards the end of my run, I was having a solid show, although I never once completed the Goro LDM combo, though it's not really so bad, truth be told. I did fairly well enough in spite of that.

.:Aha!:.

After all this time, she finally recognizes why this other lady is so popular. It's all about the smile, the eyes, the hair, and of course, the wit. Those things make for a small but dynamite package, no question about it.

.:And So The Heart Beats Again:.

The reason I wanted to make a break for Makati was because of the BRASH cinema showing of Bobby Bonifacio's (Okay. So sue me for saying "Benedicto" the last time...) films, "Kapag Tumibok ang Puso" and "Muling Tumibok Ang Puso". The two were using the same format, but as Bobby put it, the second film was a lot more confident about itself, although its overconfidence sometimes made the film drag and actually feel a bit... forced. 25 minutes is just fine. Doubling that time does affect the quality overall...

Still, the thing I liked about the viewing was that the first film already had subtitles, which really added to the enjoyment of the film, though I've seen it thrice already, counting this one. Even the songs were translated in such a way that you can still sing it to the song, and the lyrics still rhyme. I especially liked the line where Michiko (Abby's character.) talks to Jerome (Fidel's character.) about Franco (Bro's character.)...

Michiko: Kilala ko na siya bilang isang malibog na guro na pinagsasamantalahan ang kanyang mga estudyante. Sa buong panahong magkasama kami, wala na siyang bukambibig kundi sex, sex, sex!

The subtitles at this point were translating faithfully, and then when it came to "Sex, sex, sex!" the words got bigger and bigger...

The second part had a feel of F4 all over it, which was really hilarious. I especially liked the touch of having the Washington Lei guy sing "Kung Ako Na Lang Sana" in Chinese. This lyrics adaptation for "No Touch" takes the cake, though...

Kailangan ko ang iyong labi
Kailangan ko ang iyong ti--
*mouth gets covered*

I would've liked "Seth The Destroyer", but the burned VCD copy was pretty bad, so we didn't quite see the film decently enough, much less hear the dialogue. Still, I enjoyed my time there with Grace, who was gorgeous as usual in a fisherman's hat and a black sleeveless blouse. I also saw Abby and Ledz, which of course made me feel a bit inadequate. I guess I should speak to Abby one of these days. It's those times when affirmation is the only way I can feel better though I do believe I shan't oblige her to that...

Watching that film reminded me why I look to Abby as my best friend, in spite of the lack of reciprocity. I guess though things may change, the fact that I regard her as such simply wouldn't...

.:Side Note:.

I feel compelled to write a review for SWAT. I'm so OC about things like this. Let's just say that I'm glad I finally saw this film. Took me long enough...

No comments: