Monday, February 10, 2003

Let me just talk about two films I managed to see last Sunday... I suppose I'm not the authority on movie reviews, but heck, I'll still give it a whirl, nonetheless.

First, I watched "I Spy" with the family. Okay. Standard comedy fare. Owen Wilson's main strength as a comedian is his being laid back. He doesn't have to be as hyper as most comedians are, so when the time comes for him to go hyper, it actually counts for something. The storyline for the movie was fun, and even the twists were pretty funny. (Bah Gawd, it's hard to review something in a spoiler-free manner...) Eddie Murphy is one of my favorite comedians, but I can understand why critics label this as his "Third Strike". It's not exactly a masterpiece, and one of the trailers, more than the movie itself, was the one to catch my eye... Rowan Atkinson's gonna star in a secret agent spoof! Now that guy is a comic genius...

Okay. That was a pretty bloody short review...

Later that night, Grace and I, along with her sister's boyfriend, her brother, and her brother's girlfriend, watched The Eye. Bah Gawd, It was one of the better suspense/horror films I've ever seen. It's always good to see a subtle horror flick in the age of those in-your-face scary movies Hollywood never seems to run out of. I'm sure all of you know the premise by now... a girl who's been blind since two years old suddenly gains the gift of sight through a corneal transplant... or is it possibly a curse? Indeed, the film's strong point is the plausibility of the entire premise. Even better about it (Or, conversely, its worst characteristic.) is the fact that unlike most horror films, this one is simply NOT screaming for a sequel. There's more than enough closure for everything, and by the end of it, the supposedly scary stuff will make you feel sorry for the person and not scared...

I think that the film isn't as scary as The Ring, but it makes a lot more sense in the short time that it took to relate the entire story. My only problem with it is that its memorable scenes didn't come at the end of the film but at the middle. Hence, you wouldn't be scared when you leave the cinema. Of course, to keep this spoiler-free, I will have to warn you that I MIGHT be lying about this, and so you'd still have to stay tuned to watch the ending. Trust me. You wouldn't want to take my word for it, lest you miss something important...

Well, I won't be doing a top five today. I did an extra one last week already, so I'm not behind on it...

I'm still a bit down because there's this disease we people have... you know... let sleeping dogs lie, and nobody will bother waking the dog up any longer- EVEN IF IT'S THE RIGHT TIME. But then, I'm not the judge on what this so-called "right time" is. For all we know, heck, I could very well be wrong. Still, as a friend of mine put it. If there's value in it, its claimant will have to come around for it. Otherwise, it's a lost cause to begin with, and no rectification on your part can fix anything...

As for my new cartridge, Street Fighter Alpha 3, let me just state for the record that it refuses to save. Now that's a problem, if you ask me. You mean to tell me that I have to use cheat codes to unlock everything on my game? Dagnabit... I don't wanna do that!

Random thought: Galadriel looks like Gino Padilla. Wala lang.

No comments: